At Evolve, we believe science experiments at school are vital for kids.
They help children understand the theories and concepts of science, and make the subject much more exciting than learning from a boring old science text book. But laboratories can sometimes be risky by the very nature of chemicals and lab experiments that are conducted in them.
1. Kids should not be allowed to touch any chemicals or lab equipment unless they are instructed to do so.
2. Students should never ever work in science lab in the absence of their teachers.
3. Pupils must follow all the written and verbal instructions when conducting the science experiment. In case they do not follow anything, they must clarify it first.
4. It’s important to be alert and be cautious when in the science laboratory. Eating, drinking, playing pranks, using mobile phones, or listening to music should be strictly prohibited.
5. Before using any chemicals, read the label carefully. When mixing chemicals or conducting the experiment, keep the test tube containing the chemical away from your face, mouth and body.
6. Unused chemicals should never be put back in the original bottle. They must be disposed off as per the guidelines given by the lab assistant or science teacher.
7. Students must wear safety goggles, lab coat, and shoes in the science laboratory. Loose clothes, sandals, and open hairs should be a strict NO in school science labs.
8. Examine glassware before using. Do not use chipped or cracked test tubes or beakers.
9. Hot apparatus take time to cool down. Allow time for this and then use tongs or heat protective gloves to pick them up.
10. If any accident takes place, don’t panic. Inform a senior teacher or lab assistant immediately.
Above all, let your students enjoy a safe and fun learning experience in your school science labs.
Evolve for school science success
Evolve has installed a number of educational science labs in recent years, including a state-of-the-art suite at the Malta College of Arts, Science and Technology, new labs at the Department of Chemistry at the University of Malta and a fully-fitted science classroom at St Francis School in Sliema in Malta.
If you are planning to refurbish or modernise your school’s science labs, please get in touch with us today. We’ll be happy to advise you on the best way forward. Every classroom is important, but special attention should be given to the design of school science labs.
Good to know
Insights, ideas and initiatives for the scientific and medical industries from Evolve
Evolve makes science happen
Evolve can quickly help you with a wide range of scientific solutions. Whether you have a question about your latest order, laboratory supplies in Malta, the maintenance of your medical equipment or our international scientific consultancy service, get in touch with us.
If you need to speak with someone from Evolve, visit our Support Centre page.